Re: GRUB problem
On Wednesday 25 June 2003 22:45, firstname.lastname@example.org wrote:
> In linux.debian.user, you wrote:
> > I'm still booting off floppy and trying to get GRUB sorted.
> > I have /boot on /dev/hda1 and root on /dev/hda5
> > (At first, LILO was just hanging with 'LI 99 99 99' and GRub, when I
> > installed it gave an Error 5 - 'partition table bad'. Eventually I got
> > half a clue and added /boot (/dev/hda1) into /etc/fstab and
> > started again...)
> > Lilo when installed and booted just gives 'LI' and stops.
> > Grub when installed and booted gives the following:
> > GRUB Loading Stage 1.5
> > GRUB Loading, please wait...
> > Error 2 (and that's as far as it gets)
> > Error 2 means " Bad file or directory type
> > This error is returned if a file requested is not a regular file, but
> > something like a symbolic link, directory, or FIFO. "
> > Does anyone have any ideas?
> Could we see your /etc/fstab and the output of 'df > mount-partitions,
> I'm thinking that maybe you entered the line for /boot into /etc/fstab and
> didn't put a new line character at the end of the file. It would then not
> see /boot.
Sure, but I think they're OK.
Here's /etc/fstab, copied directly using Kmail's 'Insert file' menu entry:
# /etc/fstab: static file system information.
# <file system> <mount point> <type> <options> <dump> <pass>
/dev/hda1 /boot ext2 errors=remount-ro 0 0
/dev/hda5 / ext2 errors=remount-ro 0 1
/dev/hda6 none swap sw 0 0
/dev/hdd5 /cr2 ext2 defaults 0 0
/dev/hdd6 /cr4 ext2 defaults 0 0
/dev/hdc2 /cr3 ext2 defaults 0 0
/dev/hdc1 /mnt/DosC msdos defaults 0 0
/dev/hdd1 /mnt/dosD msdos defaults 0 0
proc /proc proc defaults 0 0
/dev/fd0 /floppy auto user,noauto 0 0
/dev/cdrom /cdrom iso9660 ro,user,noauto 0 0
I actually inserted the line for /boot before the line for / , so it had to
have a newline character. I'm not sure what the significance of the dump
& pass numbers is (I just copied the 0 0 of all the drives except / )
And here's df, straight from a terminal window (rxvt):
Filesystem 1k-blocks Used Available Use% Mounted on
/dev/hda5 1662808 828224 750116 53% /
/dev/hda1 25341 1273 22760 6% /boot
/dev/hdd5 806560 257372 508216 34% /cr2
/dev/hdd6 715280 166352 512592 25% /cr4
/dev/hdc2 1123088 688276 377760 65% /cr3
/dev/hdc1 511760 433480 78280 85% /mnt/DosC
/dev/hdd1 515792 408064 107728 80% /mnt/dosD
I've concluded that there must be something fairly basic wrong with my bios
settings or maybe the MBR (though I did run bios autodetect before I started
all this and made sure the alternatives I selected gave the same
drive/head/sector numbers as the labels on the hard drives did).
I'm not sure what tools there are for investigating MBR settings or drive
Meanwhile, boot floppies work (though the Debian one is awfully slow ;)