boot problem with new kernel-any idas?

I recently downloaded, and using "make-kpkg buildpackage", built a complete new kernel headers...etc. from a tarball( linux-2.4.21) downloaded from www.kernel.org. It installed with no problems, including running lilo. I rebooted and crapped out at the line "freeing unused kernel memory". I have built many kernels over the years but I need to get new usb devices implemented as well as scsi emulation etc. for cd-burner & mustek scanner mods builtin. I thought "no problem" and proceeded to implement the old kernel and start over. To my great surprise the old kernel now craps out at the exact same place. Kind of makes me think it,s something other than the new kernel...however all was working fine before the reboot. However this is a SID system and I have recently upgraded other apps...very carefully. avoiding buggy proggies via apt-listbug. Any ideas as to what is going on? Anyone know of ANY bugs yielding this problem?
Thanks!
John