can't get a cdrom "configured" with apt-cdrom

I've attempted to create an "update" cdrom, by using;

dpkg-scanpackages . /dev/null > Packages

which created a "Packages" file.

With this method, the cd I created has everything in the "root"
directory.

I've been trying to get "apt-cdrom" to add the contents to the
listing, so I don't have to re-download the files, and to help a few
people convert to debian.

When I run apt-cdrom, I get the following;

sudo apt-cdrom -a add
Using CD-ROM mount point /cdrom/
Unmounting CD-ROM
Please insert a Disc in the drive and press enter
Mounting CD-ROM
Identifying.. [ffb907fd618f7a4beeae842981cf6e0e-2]
Scanning Disc for index files..  Found 1 package indexes and 0 source indexes.
This Disc is called:
 'Debian Update Disk 1'
Reading Package Indexes... Done
Wrote 0 records.
Writing new source list
Source List entries for this Disc are:
deb cdrom:[Debian Update Disk 1]/ /
Repeat this process for the rest of the CDs in your set.
W: No valid records were found.

Any help would be apprciated.

Thanks
--