Re: Compiling 2.4.20

On Tue, Jun 24, 2003 at 02:39:08PM +0100, Mark C wrote:

> I had problems trying to compile the debian kernel-source-2.4.20 using
> gcc-3.3 (aparently gcc-3.2 works though) on woody/sarge mix
>
> In the end I installed gcc-2.95 and then created a symlink from
> /usr/bin/gcc -> /usr/bin/gcc-2.95

An alternative to switching your /usr/bin/gcc link is to tell make-kpkg
to use gcc-2.95 somewhat like this:

$ MAKEFLAGS="CC=gcc-2.95" make-kpkg -rootcmd fakeroot kernel_image

Also, from kernel source 2.4.x Documentation/Changes:

	The recommended compiler for the kernel is gcc 2.95.x (x >= 3), and
	it should be used when you need absolute stability. You may use gcc
	3.0.x instead if you wish, although it may cause problems. Later
	versions of gcc have not received much testing for Linux kernel
	compilation, and there are almost certainly bugs (mainly, but not
	exclusively, in the kernel) that will need to be fixed in order to
	use these compilers.

Graeme