nfs problems

Hi everyone

So far I used a nec2000 compatible network card to connect a desktop PC
(DT) and a laptop (LT).
That card only supported 10 Mbip/sec resulting in an effictive transfer
rate of 300 - 400 KB / sec (abysmally slow).
So I changed it for a Realtec 8139 based one capable of doing 10 / 100
Mbit/sec.
(LG LNIC-10/100 Series, maker LG electronics, China / Taiwan / Korea)

The driver module installed without probs, but afterwards the problems
started.
1. I only get an average transfer rate of 1.0 - 1.8 MB / sec which seems
quite low
100 Mbist/sec = 12.5 MB / sec. Ifconfig tells me that on transferring
same data it sent 932 MB and received 34 MB which seems ok. My router
tells me, that both boxes run on 100 MB/sec. So, even if we allow a
ridiculously high overhead of 25% we should still be at about 7 MB /
sec, or am I somewhere mistaken?

2. It transfers some MBs, but sooner ar later it chokes and I get
eth0: abnormal interrupt, status 00000011
normally immideately followd by
eth0: abnormal interrupt, status 00000021
and after some time
nfs: server xxxxxx  still not responding
nfs: task xxxx can't get a request slot

eth0: Transmit timeout, status 0d 0000 media 10

So this leads to the following questions:
What do I have to provide to enable people to help me.
How can I kill nfs & stuff short of rebooting (was the only thing that
did work) once it runs amok?
What might cause these problems and what do I have to do to prevent them
in the future?
Should I discard the new card and buy a better one?

Any help will be highly appreciated, as I have to transfer about 10 GB
asfast as possible.

Axel Schlicht