Re: What has happened to glim(pse)

On Wed, Jun 25, 2003 at 01:00:30PM +0100, Andrew Ingram wrote:
> I'm sure I saw glimpse in the apt repository at some point. I'd like to
> start using it now but when I do apt-get install glimpse, I get:
>
> Reading Package Lists... Done
> Building Dependency Tree... Done
> Package glimpse has no available version, but exists in the database.
> This typically means that the package was mentioned in a dependency and
> never uploaded, has been obsoleted or is not available with the contents
> of sources.list
> E: Package glimpse has no installation candidate
>

> Has it been obsoleted or removed for some reason?

Yes, it was removed a long time ago:

[Date: Sat, 25 Aug 2001 14:34:44 -0400] [ftpmaster: James Troup]
Removed the following packages from unstable:

   glimpse |      4.1-2 | source, alpha, arm, i386, m68k, powerpc, sparc
Closed bugs: 109355

ROQA; no FHS transition, maintainer MIA, 1.5 year old grave security bugs.

Maybe htdig or mnogosearch is what you're looking for?