Re: How to count actual users?

On Wed, Jun 25, 2003 at 12:31:46AM +0100, Hugh Saunders wrote:
> On Wed, Jun 25, 2003 at 01:03:00AM +0200, Paul Wright wrote:
> > I decided that it may be easier to get a reasonable count of how many known
> > users of Debian can be counted by the number of unique email addresses have
> > suscribed to the lists hosted here.
> from http://lists.debian.org/stats/
>
> you can say number of users >= 31880 unless people subscribe to
> debian-announce twice.
>
> not sure how you would calculate the actual number of unique subscribed
> addresses unless you were a listmaster.

There's 69454 unique subscribed addresses. The problem is that you have a
fair amount of people who uses different addresses for different lists. There
are also a few mailing lists subscribed to some of the mailing lists, so that
number might give you an idea of the order of magnitude, but not much more.

There are also people reading the Debian mailing lists through mail to news
gateways such as gmane[1].

You will still have to find a way to count people like the ones on the "Who's
using Debian" page [2], where you can have 3-4 addresses on the mailing lists,
and over 500 computers running Debian.

Cheers,

Pasc

[1]: http://www.gmane.org