Re: GRUB problem

On Tue, 24 Jun 2003 14:05:24 -0400
David Z Maze <dmaze@debian.org> wrote:

> > Your files are in /boot/boot/grub, and they should be in /boot/grub.
> >
> > To solve your problem, do "cp -a /boot/boot/grub /boot".
>
> That's not going to help if /boot is a separate partition.  You need
> to separately tell GRUB where to find the stage1.5 and stage2 files
> and where to install the boot sector; the Info manual suggests that
> you want
>
>   root (hd0,0)
>   setup (hd0)
>
> In this situation, I believe /boot/boot/grub is the correct directory.

You may be right.

But why would /boot being a separate partition have anything to do with it?
His partition has a directory boot, and inside that directory another called
grub. That would be OK if it were mounted on /, but of course we can't do
that.

When a partition containing boot/grub is mounted on /boot, the path to the
files becomes /boot/boot/grub. But grub isn't looking there for the files;
its looking in /boot/grub and not finding them.

My solution puts the files where grub expects to see them.

I suspect this happens because the default way to install debian is without
a separate /boot partition, so grub-install isn't handling the situation
well.

If someone can see a flaw in the above please let me know; I may yet be the
learner here.

Kevin