Re: tray open or drive not ready

Clive Menzies wrote:

On (23/06/03 11:22), Kent West wrote:
So I've tried "grub-install /dev/hd0 which complains about hd0 having a tray open or drive not ready, and that /dev/hd0 does not have any corresponding BIOS drive.
I may be "barking up the wrong tree" but hdc = hd2.  ie 1st drive is
hda/hd0; 2nd is hdb/hd1; 3rd is hdc/hd2

Thanks for the response, Clive. Turns out I was doing things the proper way; it's just that something was screwy with the MBR I reckon. (hd0 refers to the first hard drive that the BIOS lists, not to the first hard drive on the first IDE port -- go figure).

Anyway, I finally got tired of fighting it, and wiped the partitions and repartitioned (using slightly different sizes to make sure I didn't just resurrect the old setup) and reinstalled the Hurd, and this time grub installed to the hard drive like it was supposed to. I have no explanation.

I'm going to wipe it once more and do it again, just for experimentation purposes, before continuing on into Hurd-land.

--
Kent