Re: XFree86 turns off the screen when using usb mouse

On Sun, 2003-06-22 at 00:42, Bijan Soleymani wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I have a small problem that I'd like to solve. X automatically blanks
> the screen after a while. It unblanks it if you use the keyboard or the
> mouse. However it only works with serial or ps2 mice. I'm using a USB
> mouse and sometimes i'll be using my computer to browse the web or play
> music and suddenly the screen goes blank. It's not so serious as all I
> have to do is press a button in the keyboard, but I'd still like to find
> a better solution.

i dont know the solution, but i believe i can add to the description of
the problem.

i think either xscreensaver or xfree86 does the blanking (my guess is
xscreensaver) and it does not "see" input from usb mice (or maybe all
usb devices). thus when only using the usb mouse, xscreensaver thinks
there has been no activity and blanks the screen.

i am using a usb mouse and moving it cannot "restore" the computer when
the screensaver kicks in, i must use the ps2 mouse (i have a laptop with
two mice) or keyboard.

hth

-matt zagrabelny