Re: how to log "init" output?

  >>> On Sun, 22 Jun 2003 11:48:12 +0100,
  >>> "Clive" == Clive Menzies <clive@clivemenzies.co.uk> wrote:

  >> I'd like to get more visibility of what's happening when my Debian
  >> system boots, but the output of the /etc/init.d/* scripts scroll by so
  >> fast that I can't read it.

  Clive> 'dmesg' and '/var/log/syslog' are a good start

'dmesg' gives me kernel messages, and syslog records messages that daemons
choose to log.  But anything from the init-scripts themselves get lost.

Recently I was having problems with one of the init-scripts, which would
noisily dump it's shell source-code to the console at boot time.  The
trouble was that I didn't know which script was having the problem.
Eventually I caught a couple of words as they flew by, and with the help of
grep was able to track it down to /etc/init.d/hotplug (which was upset
about a stray blank line in a config file).

It would have been a lot easier if I'd just been able to scroll back in
/dev/tty1.  Sadly, the scroll-buffer seems to get reset when the login
prompt appears.  Is there any way to prevent that happening?

--
cheers, Mike                             (http://www.dogbiscuit.org/mdub/)