Re: How to switch from KDE to GNOME after startx

Terence Ng <ngterry2000@yahoo.com.hk> writes:

> Where can I find the .xession file?  What should I do
> if I want to switch from Kde to Gnome  "in global"?

You change
/etc/alternatives/x-session-manager
it is a symlink to the default session-manager.

To use gnome you do:
ln -s /usr/bin/gnome-session /etc/alternatives/x-session-manager

You might also need to change your window manager
you do that by changing
/etc/alternatives/x-window-manager
in a similar way.

*NOTE*:
All this can also be done through update-alternatives. Which is
probably the Right Way (tm).

So:
update-alternatives --config x-session-manager

and then
update-alternatives --config x-window-manager

Enjoy!
Bijan