Re: DivX and XviD - hardware requirements

On Sun, Jun 22, 2003 at 10:29:02PM +1000, SYNeR wrote:
> Your CPU really won't have an affect on your ability to play movies provided
> you have a semi-decent video card. Because nvidia's video drivers for linux
> are decent,
> (at least for the GeForce4), you should be fine as your video card's GPU
> will handle
> the load.
>
> Here at the moment when I play a movie, my CPU usage is on 0% - 0.5%, thus
> my video
> card is doing all the work.

This will only be true if your video card (or some other component in
your system) does hardware-assisted decoding and you have software that
can use it. Normally, playing a highly-compressed format like DivX or
XviD will require a considerable amount of CPU power. Older codecs don't
need as much power, since they were written for older computers.

--
Michael Heironimus