Re: debian

On Sat, 2003-06-21 at 07:12, Colin Watson wrote:
> On Fri, Jun 20, 2003 at 10:39:47PM -0400, Bijan Soleymani wrote:
> > On Fri, 2003-06-20 at 18:41, Aryan Ameri wrote:
> > > Also, Debian has the ability to use 4 kernels (NetBSD, FreeBSD, Hurd and
> > > Linux) while SuSE and RedHat are Linux-Only.
> >
> > The sad truth is that Debian GNU/Hurd is currently further along than
> > either BSD port.
>
> Unless you count kernel stability, on which the Hurd is sadly rather
> short ... I think the BSD ports are accelerating faster.
>
> --
> Colin Watson                                  [cjwatson@flatline.org.uk]

I have to agree with Colin on this one - the BSD ports could well be
officially shipping at the next release point if a few technological
questions work out well over the next few months, and the resulting
system seems sufficiently robust. The Hurd still apparently needs some
important services in place and is awaiting a new microkernel that is
supposed to solve some overhead and bottlenecks, iiuc.
ML Kahnt New Markets Consulting
Tel: (613) 531-8684 / (613) 539-0935
Email: kahnt@hosehead.dyndns.org