Knoppix & Debian chroot install (was Re: debian, request help)

on Fri, Jun 20, 2003 at 10:40:27AM -0600, Paul E Condon (pecondon@peakpeak.com) wrote:
> I have tried Knoppix and find amazing what it finds out
> automatically. But I don't understand how Karsten uses it to install
> Debian. Could someone (possibly Karsten) amplify on his terse
> description of this method. I would like to try it on an old box that
> I have been unable to get working. Please be rather verbose. I am not
> good at connecting dots.
>
> On Fri, Jun 20, 2003 at 06:01:41AM +0100, Karsten M. Self wrote:
> <snip>
>
> > There are a number of different installation systems available, my own
> > preferred method lately is a chroot install from base2_2.tgz or via
> > debootstrap, under Knoppix, which allows you to filch configuration
> > settings and module lists from Knoppix.
> ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

There are detailed instructions for a chroot install at:

    http://twiki.iwethey.org/twiki/bin/view/Main/DebianChrootInstall

This is *NOT* (as was posted by another subscriber) an installation of
Knoppix to your HD, but a Debian install, run under Knoppix, using
either a Potato base2_2.tgz base image, or debootstrap.  Both work fine.
The latter is documented in the main Debian install docs, as discussed
at the link above.

For drivers, with a stock monolithic kernel, prior to your first reboot
(when you're still running Knoppix)

    ( echo -e "# Knoppix modules\n"; awk '{print $1}' \
        /proc/modules >> /mnt/debinst/etc/modules

...gets pretty much everything.

For X, you can copy your Knoppix XF86Config-4 file.

Sound should work, but can still be iffy in edge cases.

If you're building your own kernel at a later point, you'll want to
build the modules in this list, or compile them into your kernel.

Peace.

    "You don't have to pretend to be interested in me you know," said
    Marvin at last, "I know perfectly well I'm only a menial robot."
    -- HHGTG