Re: exporting /var/spool/mail/user as mailbox

Matt Price wrote:

> I get my mail through a university account, which I download and
> filter every ten minutes on my work machine.
>
> I am about to go on an extended vacation, during which time I'll only
> have access to a Windows pc and a modem connection.  I would like to
> be able to pick up my mai, which I can do already through my
> university account; but I'd rather not have to refilter it and reread
> it all when I get back home.  so if possible, I'd like to export the
> mailspool on my work computer as a pop or IMAP mailbox , which I can
> then access from the net to download my mail.

You could setup an imap server on your work machine, but if your work
machine is running linux, you may want to consider a ssh server on your work
machine. Then just install putty (a ssh client for windows) on the windows
machine and you can access your work machine. I use mutt for mail and find
that this works very well when I am traveling.

Alternatively, don't download any mail off your university account until you
get back from vacation. That way you only have to deal with each piece of
mail once.

--
David Raeker-Jordan
mailto:david@raeker-jordan.net