Re: gpmconfig

On Thu, Jun 19, 2003 at 04:26:00PM -0400, Nori Heikkinen wrote:
| on Wed, 18 Jun 2003 05:32:58PM -0400, Derrick 'dman' Hudson insinuated:
| > On Wed, Jun 18, 2003 at 01:51:21PM -0400, Nori Heikkinen wrote:

| > As for losing various pieces of input functionality ... what did you
| > change?
|
| so much that i don't remember.  i've since re-installed, but now have
| the same problem.
|
| > Do you have the USB driver modules loaded?
|
| i'm using the stock 2.4.20 kernel -- how do i tell what usb modules to
| load?

Run 'lsmod' to see what is currently loaded.  As always, edit
/etc/modules to instruct the system to load certain modules at boot
time.  For USB input devices you want these :
    usb
    evdev
    mousedev
    keybdev

Along with the following in /etc/modconf :
    alias usb usb-ohci
    post-install usb modprobe hid

(note: the alias line above might need to be 'alias usb usb-uhci'
depending on your hardware)

If you aren't familiar with the "correct" (optimal) way to specify
options in /etc/modconf then read 'man update-modules'

| > Do you have the right programs reading from the right devices with
| > the right protocols?
|
| quite unlikely.  but i'm not sure what those would all be.

If you want mouse in console and X :
    gpm reads from the mouse device itself.  With a PS/2 mouse this is
        /dev/psaux.  With a USB mouse (and devfs, I haven't used USB
        without devfs) it is /dev/input/mice.  gpm needs to be told
        the correct protocol to use.  For many modern mice (including
        mine) the protocol is 'imps2'.

    gpm needs to repeat with protocol 'raw'.  It repeats through a
    named pipe, named /etc/gpmdata.

    X needs to read from /etc/gpmdata and use the same protocol that
        gpm is using.  In the case of my mice that protocol is
        "IMPS/2".

If you want mouse in X onlye :

    X reads from the mouse device itself.  With a PS/2 mouse this is
        /dev/psaux.  With a USB mouse (and devfs, I haven't used USB
        without devfs) it is /dev/input/mice.  X needs to be told
        the correct protocol to use.  For many modern mice (including
        mine) the protocol is 'IMPS/2'.

HTH,
-D

--
The heart is deceitful above all things
    and beyond cure.

I the Lord search the heart
    and examine the mind,
to reward a man according to his conduct,
    according to what his deeds deserve.

        Jeremiah 17:9-10

http://dman13.dyndns.org/~dman/