dancer-ircd and olines

I am trying to get the O: lines working with dancer-ircd and, well, it
doesn't.

I have changed /etc/dancer-ircd/olines according to the docs
[http://www.doc.ic.ac.uk/~aps100/dancer/dancer-oper-guide/dancer-oper-guide/x798.html#AEN865]
and my client still responds with an incorrect password. I have tried
using mkpasswd --hash=md5 'password' as well as just using plain text
passwords, and they both have the same results.

I checked the bugs and googled until I was blue in the face, all with no
results. Any ideas what I can be missing??

Thanks for the help.