Re: Beginning Linux Programming(THANK YOU)

Tinus wrote:
> Kevin wrote:
> > Tinus wrote:
> > > Can somebody advise a tutorial for the make/configure part? The
> > > programming C part I already have covered.
> >
> > I believe the make/configure process is generally known as autoconf;
> > googling for "GNU autoconf" gets many hits, at least one of which is a
> > tutorial.
>
> Thanx for the advice. Really got scared when I quicly browser thourgh
> kpopup's configure file, counted 25000+ lines just to compile!!! ;-)

:-) chuckle, chuckle.  No need to be worried about that.  The
configure script is a machine generated file.  Machine generated files
are rarely fun to look at.  The configure.ac file is the input file.
The .ac part for autoconf.

This is the book you want to learn about autoconf, automake and
libtool which together are known as the autotools.  The book is
available both as a browsable online version and as a physical paper
version.

  http://sources.redhat.com/autobook/

The autotools can be installed on Debian easily.

  apt-get install autoconf automake

There is also another template based project generator called
autoproject.  I can't say as I like the output which is generated from
a stylistic viewpoint.  But 'autoproject' is a way to get a full
project directory going quickly.  With that disclaimer you might want
to give it a test drive.

Bob