Re: Low latency patch worth the fuss?

Not responding to the OP's mail since I already deleted it.

On 15 Jun 2003 18:57:05 -0500 Shyamal Prasad wrote:
>     "debian" == debian  <iwk> writes:
>
>     debian> Hi there, I'm just ripping a few CDs' with Grip and even
>     debian> with nice level -20 for both ripping & encoding the system
>     debian> "drags" noticeably.

If you mean you give the ripping/encoding processes the maximum priority
then no wonder the system drags noticeably. Try a nice level of +15 or some
such, this will push their priority below that of other running programs,
and thus improve general system responsiveness. Take a bit longer to do
the ripping/encoding, unfortunately...

--
Carlos Sousa
http://vbc.dyndns.org/