Re: Low latency patch worth the fuss?

On Sun, 2003-06-15 at 13:08, iwk wrote:
> Hi there,
>
> I'm just ripping a few CDs' with Grip and even with nice level -20 for
> both ripping & encoding the system "drags" noticeably. The kernel low
> latency patch should in theory offer a solution by improving on the
> resposiveness of the system. But does it in practice? Is it really worth
> the fuss of recompiling the stock (debian) kernel which is working fine?
> Anyone got any practical experience?

I don't have any real numbers from benchmarks or anything to share here,
but from personal experience it is worth it. The only time I've seen my
computer hiccup enough to stop playing an ogg in XMMS (my own little
personal measure of real slowdown :) was while I was installing Oracle.
With the install chewing up a little over 2 GB and building a database
in the process, this is understandable. But pretty much everything else
works without any real problems. Running VMWare slows my down a bit, but
not too much.

Note that I do have a very recent system with plenty of RAM, however I
still had considerable slowdown with some tasks that went away after the
low latency patch. And uptime shows me as being up for 62 days so
stability isn't really a problem. :)

--
Alex Malinovich
pgp.net keyservers. Key ID: A6D24837