Re: Low latency patch worth the fuss?

On Sun, 2003-06-15 at 20:08, iwk wrote:
> Is it really worth
> the fuss of recompiling the stock (debian) kernel which is working fine?
> Anyone got any practical experience?

I've been running Con Koliva's patch set fo a while.
http://members.optusnet.com.au/ckolivas/kernel/ It's already out for
2.4.21 and contains O(1) scheduler, preemptible, low latency, and
several other desktop-oriented performance patches. Some feature-adding
patches can be downloaded separately. I must say that subjectively the
machine feels extremely fast, a lot snappier (it's a P IV 2,4 G with 512
MB) than with the stock kernel. Also my laptop, a AMD K6 550 with 256
MB, feels much better, no jerky mouse anymore.
Note that changing the the variable HZ setting (patched in too) to
another value than 100 leads to segfaults of older versions of chrony
(at least the one in woody, there's a kludge to make newer versions work
on chrony's homepage).

I'd say it's really worth it, and from my brief encounter with Gentoo
I'd suspect that most of Gentoo's perceived speed is because of the
kernel (they offer the CK kernel in portage, but as I understand also
the stock Gentoo kernel is patched heavily)