Pb using mii.o and eepro100

Hi

I have been trying to use the mii.o module that normally eepro100 depends on...

I tried load mii.o using
 insmod mii
and then doing
 insmod eepro100

and I cannot get my network card working.. What am I missing? how do I get my "eth0" interface? any other configuration required somewhere? I have seen some post where you need to create an alias for eth0 in the modules.conf. So with ifconfig I only see "lo"

One strange thing, I can see a weird message during boot up:
Spurious 8259A IRQ 7 right during loading of module... not sure what it is ...

But with Knoppix it is working ! altought I find the knoppix really unstable so far....
But under knoppix I can see my module this way
eepro100  ....
mii  ....  [eepro100]

So to me it looks like eepro100 depends on mii but I cannot force eepro100 to use mii? with insmod I could not find how....
how would I use it with modprobe?

Thanks

Manu