Re: How to compile a 2.5.x Kernel

On Sat, 14 Jun 2003 14:31:07 +0200, Mariano Kamp wrote:

> Someone changed the kernel sources to get it running. Alright ... I now
> believe Hugh was right. I am probably not up to the job. I was just
> assuming
> that shortly before 2.5. will turn into 2.6.x rc it would be installable by
> me, but was wrong.

That's not entirely true. This is partially Debian's fault, since
recently sid switched over to gcc 3.2 as the default compiler. However,
Qt is still compiled with the older compiler. You can always use
menuconfig or you can use the gcc 2.95 compiler for xconfig.

For some reason, the new xconfig method in 2.5 is now built using Qt,
though there is a GTK alternative which I have never once used. This
problem will not affect the other methods of configuring, including
menuconfig and config.

I would reccommend that you at least have a thorough understanding of
how to build a 2.4 kernel, and if you do have that, then if you want to
take the plunge, go in and read all those nifty little help texts in
the kernel configurator. They help. :)

(someone correct me if I'm wrong.)

--
Scott C. Linnenbringer