Re: problem with ppp.o and agpgart.o X Wont start

On 13 Jun 2003 "Fred Bowker" <f.bowker@btopenworld.com> wrote:

> [snip]
>
> I managed to get my Xserver running by recompiling the kernel with agp
> support (I have i810 onboard graphics) after this I needed an internet
> connection from Linux however for this I needed the ppp.o module. I
> recompiled the kernel with this module and once booted up used pon and the
> connection seemed to work fine. However when I typed startx I got the
> message saying that there was no agpgart once again. I recompiled the
> kernel numerous times with the correct modules for the i810 card however x
> still wont start.
>
> The messages I get are X10: fatal 10 error 104 (connection reset by
> peer) on Xserver ":0.0"
> After 0 requests (0 known processes) with 0 events remaining
>
> When I use indmod agpgart.o I get couldn't find the kernel version the
> module was compiled for

'indmod agpgart.o' .... You mean 'insmod agpgart' ?

> When I use modprobe agpgart I get modprobe Cant locate module agpgart

So, did you check if the module really is there? Try
  find /lib/modules/`uname -r`/ -name agpgart.o
No output? Then the module is not available for the kernel you are currently
using, despite your recompilations. Are you sure you did not forget the
steps
  make modules
  make modules_install  ?
Are you sure you are really running the kernel you compiled the agpgart
module for?

I think you must provide a little more information for someone being able to
help you.

Ben

--

B.F.M. Kal
Anjelierstraat 1,   2014 TC Haarlem,  Netherlands