Re: Unexpected APM functionality after installing gnome2.2 backport

On Fri, 2003-06-13 at 11:57, M. Kirchhoff wrote:
> Hello All,
>
> I recently picked up a second-hand laptop (IBM Thinkpad 570).  I installed Woody
> per the usual and found that APM seemed to work fine for putting the laptop to
> sleep.  However, when issuing the "halt" command to shut the system down, it
> would only go as far as saying "Power Down", i.e. I would have to physically
> flip the power switch to completely shut it down.
>
> Completely unrelated, I installed Jamie's backported Gnome2.2 stuff, which went
> fine.  This time when issuing "halt", the laptop completely powered off on its
> own, much to my surprise.
>
> So my question is what is in the Gnome2.2 stuff that would have fixed this on
> its own, and, more importantly, is it a package that can be installed and used
> independently from Gnome (say I want to remove Gnome completely and use
> something like Blackbox for better performace, but still want the system to be
> able to completely power off on its own).

Sounds like you had the battery status applet loaded, which would load
the apm module, which would allow the power down.  If not using gnome,
just make sure that apm gets started (/etc/init.d/apmd start should be
all there is to it).

Jamie