Kill a process that refuses to die?

What can I do to kill a process that refuses to be killed?

I have enjoympeg running, with kde as the window manager.  On video files that
need a newer codec, which I don't have installed, the video fails to show on
the screen, but enjoympeg shows as running under top.  There are 3 or 4
processes running, consecutively, and attempting to kill the one with the
highest cpu utilization fails, and scrolling down to the enjoympeg processes
with low cpu utilization, getting those process ids, and attempting to kill
them as well results in no joy.

I have attempted to kill the processes repeatedly, as the user who started
enjoympeg, and as root, and all attempts fail.  I have even shutdown all
other gui windows and applications, and attempted to restart the X server,
all to no avail.

Short of rebooting, is there any other method I can use to kill the process
which is using over 90% of the cpu time, according to top?

There are no gui windows showing enjoympeg.  The frozen video window (that
didn't show the video because of lack of new codecs or other problems)
disappeared when I restarted the X server, and the window that shows volume
and video position disappeared when I shut it down as the first thing I did
when the video failed to play.

TIA.

Bing.
--
All spam received is reported to SpamCop.

http://spamcop.net/