Re: Shell script or Perl?

If I were you I would cut your loses and go with python. Whatever anyone
says perl is virtually unmaintainable (yes I know you can write resonablyclean code but this is only through coding standards, which no one can
agree on and consequently you have to force people to use them -- always
a bad thing). In perl there are many, many ways to do the same thing (from a
language point of view) which means that if you have to maintain someone
else's code you must know all the idioms they used.

Phython is much cleaner (compare classes in python and perl) and more
obvious. I used to write a lot of perl but I simply gave up on it, I've been
actively trying to forget everything I know about it since!

rgh