Re: Kernel Security Update / Mondo Rescue kernel

On Thu, Jun 12, 2003 at 02:20:12PM -0400, Kevin McKinley wrote:
> In general, I prefer using Debian kernel-source packages, and applying
> Debian kernel-patch... to those.

Me too.  Maybe I should downgrade to 2.4.18.

See, I'm runing stable.  I don't remember the details (USB problem?),
but I upgraded from 2.4.18 to 2.4.20, but I used kernel.org sources and
patched with SGI's XFS patch directly because there was not a
kernel-patch-xfs available for 2.4.20.

But now I would like the patches provided in the Debian kernels.

Well, I can grab the 2.4.20 kernel source from sid, but the
kernel-patch-xfs patch won't install because of dependencies (again, I'm
really running stable on this machine).

And I can't apply the SGI XFS patch directly because the kernel has been
patched by Debian.

In other words, I'm not sure I can get a debian 2.4.20+xfs (plus
lm_sensors) built on my stable machine.

I suppose I could build on my testing machine, but there might be some
library issues.  I'm not sure.

Good way to blow a few hours.

> Since you're building your own kernel from source you don't need cramfs,
> which is used IIRC for initrd -- and you don't need initrd either.

Mondo Rescue requires initrd, but doesn't want cramfs, IIRC.

--
Bill Moseley
moseley@hank.org