Re: Are there bugs in mkboot? Need another pair of eyes.

* Chris Metzler (cmetzler@speakeasy.net) [030612 07:52]:

> Hi.  mkboot (part of the debianutils package) appears to be bugged to me,
> both in use and in looking at the code.  But I've looked in BTS and in
> /usr/share/doc/debianutils, and have searched web, usenet, and mailing
> list archives, and haven't turned up anything.  Since I'm almost always
> not the first person to spot a bug, I suspect I'm just missing something.
> So I'd like someone else to look at it, if they can.

I haven't independently verified these bugs, but the report seems sound.
I wouldn't hesitate to file these in the BTS.

> Am I right about these?  Are these bug-report worthy?

A good way of looking at this question is that if the program acts in
any way that is unexpected or confusing, especially after having read
the documentation, it has a bug.  Even if it works as designed, this may
indicate bad design, bad interface, or just bad documentation.  All are
bug-report worthy.

In general, filing bugs is a Good Thing.  Better to have duplicate or
irreproducible bug reports than no bug reports, IMO.

Even apart from the general less on why everyone should report more
bugs, I'd say that in this particular case, it does indeed sound like
you have found bugs (some not-so-minor) in mkboot.  Again, I haven't
independently verified them (my laptop has no floppy drive...) but I'd
say they are indeed bug-report-worthy.

good times,
Vineet
--