kernel install wiped out lilo!

In my ongoing quest to put Debian on this Dell Inspiron 8000, I
recompiled the kernel and disabled framebuffer support (so the screen
doesn't go all wacky).  I hadn't seen some of the options presented me
by the install menu when i did dpkg -i kernel-image-<myimage>.deb -- i
have a windoze and redhat partition also on this machine that i need
to keep, so i chose the options that seemed to suggest that those
other partitions would be kept bootable.

now, upon restarting, i can't boot in without a rescue disk!  before
lilo even shows up, i get a screen of cascading 0 1 0 1 0 1 0 1 0 1 0
1 0 1 0 1 0 1 0 1 0 1s that just go on forever.

how do i fix my lilo.conf?  should i just wipe it out and start over?
i have a feeling it has to do with the options i chose, however ...

any help would be appreciated.

thanks!

</nori>

--