/etc/profile and X

Hi group,

Yes, I searched through the archives and read some of the comments.
However, they don't tell me exactly what's going on...

/etc/profile is read by a login shell, and not by starting an xterm. Of
course, so far, so good... However, when I log in to X, doesn't
xdm/kdm/gdm run a login shell which then starts xinit or something like
that? Apparantly not, because if I export a variable from /etc/profile,
I don't see it in X. What does xdm/kdm/gdm do then?

So, how do I set a variable like CUPS_SERVER=nebula so that it is set
during a console login _and_ during an X login?

TIA,

David