Re: ACPI HOWTO (draft #2)

Hi,

* Martin Wuertele <maxx@debian.org> [030612 09:00]:
> Emma Jane Hogbin <emmajane@xtrinsic.com> wrote:
>
> > For those who are interested I've got my second draft of an ACPI HOWTO
> > online.
> >
> > http://xtrinsic.com/geek/articles/acpi.phtml
> >
> > Please feel free to let me know if you there are any parts which are
> > unclear or flat-out wrong. :)
>
> I took the kernel-source 2.4.20-8 from unstable, removed the ACPI
> changes and applied acpi-20021212-2.4.20.diff.gz from acpi.sf.net since
> the vanilla 2.4.20 _HAS_ several security leaks (ptrace, hash table,...)
>
> You can find the package at
> http://people.debian.org/~maxx/kernel-source-2.4.20/
> (I didn't upload the .orig.tar.gz since you can get it from any debian
> mirror and the .deb is already big enough)

Cool, thanks. These days I'm a bit scared to use kernels without the
Debian patches and I'm hanging to get acpi working.

I downloaded the full .deb and compiled it up. Unfortunately it won't
boot. Just hangs with a blank screen.  I used gcc-3.2 and a config
tuned for my Fujitsu LOOX T93C (aka Fujitsu P2120 in the US?). This
config file (without acpi configured) and gcc worked flawlessly on
kernel-source-2.4.20-6 [1].

Any reports of success and failures with this kernel source would be
much appreciated.

TIA,

Nick.

1. I also apply a patch to the ide driver alim15x3.c to enable DMA for
this machine.

--
Debian testing/unstable
Linux twofish 2.4.20-looxt93c8 #1 Thu May 22 10:43:41 JST 2003