Re: Kernel penguin logo?

On Wed, Jun 11, 2003 at 09:20:48PM -0400, Kevin McKinley wrote:
> On Wed, 11 Jun 2003 15:19:01 -0700
> Paul Yeatman <pyeatman@ucsd.edu> wrote:
>
> > Hi, I believe this is not established by the kernel but by the
> > boot loader.  I quickly looked over documentation for both lilo
> > and grub and couldn't find info regarding this for either (this is
> > made particularly difficult by the fact that each hit for a word search
> > on "image" always referred to a kernel image, not a graphical
> > image) . . . so I'm completely unable to substantiate my claim but
> > I'm still fairly certain this is the case.  That's my two cents,
> > anyway.  Best wishes seeing the lucky penguin each wonderful
> > boot.
>
> Well, I hate to break this to you, but you're mistaken. The penguin is in
> the kernel source.
>
> You can replace it with a nice Debian logo by applying the patch
> "kernel-patch-debianlogo".

Paul is referring to grub splashimage support:

	splashimage support
	-------------------
	The use of graphics is an unofficial extension to Grub that has
	not yet been
	included by the developers in the official software. The patch
	was first proposed on the bug-grub mail list late in 2001. This
	feature will
	not be supported by upstream until after the 1.0 version of Grub
	is released.

	However, this Debian package has been patched and supports
	splash images.

- /usr/share/doc/grub/README.Debian.gz

Geordie.