Re: SCSI scanner permissions

On 2003-06-09 19:30:34, Tom Allison wrote:
> I thought I could do this:
>
> addgroup scanner
> chown root.scanner /dev/scsi/host2.../generic
> adduser {me} scanner
> chmod g+rw /dev/scsi/host2/.../generic
>
> It didn't work.
>
> I had to chmod a+rw to the scsi device for it to work.

The above should work, you probably just forgot to logout to pick up the
new group.

> And when I reboot, everything is gone.

Usually, you write a init compatible script and place it in
/etc/init.d/, then link that script to the run levels you want it
started and stopped.

See /etc/init.d/skeleton and `man 8 update-rc.d` on how to create the
links.

You may also could also consider using devfsd instead, it has facilities
to set permissions when modules are loaded.

/Allan
--
Allan Wind
P.O. Box 2022