Re: 4.3.0

On Mon, Jun 09, 2003 at 08:28:00PM -0700, Piero wrote:
> I had to install X 4.3 because former version didn't support my video
> card. I istalled it from a tarball downloaded from the Xfre86 site. Is
> it possible to "tell" the packages databae managed by dpkg or apt-get
> that this operation has been done?

You can build an "equivs" package, which is basically a completely
empty .deb file that exists only to provide an entry in dpkg's database.
"apt-get install equivs" and read the documentation.

One thing to keep in mind with a big package like X is that there are
many binary packages installed from a single source package.  You
undoubtedly overwrote file from xserver-xfree86, xserver-common,
xfonts-base, and more.  In order to avoid potential trouble, you should
build equivs packages to replace all of those.

noah