Re: Switching Desktops

Nick Wilson wrote:
Hi everyone,
Sorry for the lame quesiton ;-) I just can't find the 'button'!

I installed on a very old machine but made sure twm was installed. Now,
half an hour later I can get KDE (default) up but would like to change
the default desktop to twm.
How do I do that? I've beem looking through the menus but can not find
it?

Many thanks and again, I know it's silly so thanks for your patience...

Well, I am guessing that you are using 'kdm' to login to your machine. In that case what you can do is --
1. Login to KDE
2. Go into Kcontrol
3. Go into the "Login Manager" tab/option/idontknowwhattocallit :)
4. Then go into the "Sessions" tab and notice the 'Session types' section.
5. Type in 'twm' in there and add it to the sessions list.
6. Logout, and twm should now be in the list.

Also you will need your root password to change any of the settings in the login manager (?)applet(?). Hopefully you _are_ using kdm otherwise the above paragraph was a waste.. :)

HTH,
--
Harshwardhan Nagaonkar
Electrical Engineering Sysop