Re: Postfix Virtual Domains

On June 7, 2003 07:48 pm, Stefan Vunckx wrote:

> Im trying to set up Postfix with MySQL support, but I always get confused
> when I have to set up the transport table. I dont want virtual hosting, at
> least that's what I think.

What are you trying to put into mysql?  Users, aliases, transport table, other
postfix maps???

> I had postfix running without MySQL support fine for a while and I didnt
> configured any virtual domains ...

And if you were happy then there's no need for virtual domains now either.

> The thing is, people send mails to my ISP mailaddress and fetchmail gets
> those mails. Once they are local, there's no need for virtual domains, is
> there ??? Or am I wrong ???

Depends on how you're running fetchmail I think.  Here's how I run fetchmail
for one account.

# pop3 over ssl
poll some.mail.server.com protocol pop3:
        timeout 60
        user fraser password j4tu4utghudfhgdf
        mda "/usr/bin/formail -s procmail"
        ssl

In the above case it doesn't matter what your mail configuration looks like.
The user running that fetchmail should get the mail delivered into his local
user account.  I think there are other ways of running fetchmail where it
sends the email through your local mailserver to decide when it gets
delivered, unless you need that why not just let procmail handle it.

> So should I set up transport with the domain from my ISP and method
> "local:" ? I haven't tried it yet I admit, but I also wanted to check if my
> explanation was logical ;-)

I doubt you need transport at all.  Just define the domain(s) that you want
your postfix to accept email for using the mydestination parameter.

If this reply doesn't help try following up and explaining exactly how your
email arrives, step-by-step, and what you would like to happen that isn't
happening.

--
Fraser Campbell <fraser@wehave.net>                 http://www.wehave.net/
Halton Hills, Ontario, Canada                             Debian GNU/Linux