add-printer failed

I tried to add a printer using lpadmin -p Matrix -i parallel:/dev/lp0 -P
/root/matrix.ppd.  I want to use CUPS and foomatic, as suggested by Ian
Ward in a Mini-HOWTO he published in 2002.  Thus the syntax and options
used with lpadmin.  I failed to do so successfully--the error message
was add-printer failed client-error-not-found.

Matrix.ppd is the Windows printer driver renamed to match the Linux
format.  I'm confused about using both -i and -P with lpadmin, since man
lpadmin states -P overrides -i.  Any help would be appreciated.

Steve