Re: JPG's poor quality

>> You didn't mention trying different JPEG quality settings

 I did try playing with some of the quality settings in Gimp, forgot to
mention that.  It seems that I can make the image go from kind of bad to
really nasty with the settings, but nothing I tried seemed to make any real
improvment.  I tried all sorts of combinations of smoothing and quality
settings with no real gain.  I admittedly have no idea what the DCT and
subsampling settings actually do, but in trying different settings there,
little if anything was gained.  I have also made sure to use a 'fresh' image,
rather than recycling the same one so as not to 'wear it out' with multiple
saves.   I'm starting to wonder if it's possibly a problem with my hardware,
either video or monitor... maybe it looks ok to everybody but me.
I'll put a jpg and a gif, both created with Gimp up on our website and if
anyone wants to take a look at them and see if it's really a problem or if I
just need to increase my medication.  :)    I'm not sure if it violates the
rules to post a URL here, so if anyone wants to see a couple examples of my
problem, email me directly and I'll give you the link.  Thanks, gang!