Re: ERROR 2003: Can't connect to MySQL server on ....

On Thu, Jun 05, 2003 at 05:24:22PM -0600, Francisco Castellon wrote:

> Just finished installing mySQL on a Linux Debian system and I have a
> question about how the 2 root users that are set up by default. When I
> look at my user table there is a root user allowed to log in from
> "localhost" and also another root user but this one is only allowed to
> log in from "host.mydomain.com" (host being the computer that the
> mySQL server is installed in). I understand the difference since
> localhost is when you are working on the computer itself (or remotely
> through ssh) that has the mySQl server installed and that
> HOST.MYDOMAIN.COM is the name of the localhost machine on the LAN.
> However, if you are accessing the mySQL server from HOST.MYDOMAIN.COM
> isn't that technically the same thing as accessing from localhost?

No. Take IP access for example, access from localhost is with a src IP
of 127.0.0.1.  While access from HOST.MYDOMAIN.COM is with a src IP other
than 127.0.0.1, but that resolves back to HOST.MYDOMAIN.COM.

> since in order to access the mySQL server from HOST.MYDOMAIN.COM I
> would have to be at the machine itself wouldn't the server just treat
> that connection as localhost?

Yes and no.  Difference in origination, see above.

--
Jamin W. Collins

This is the typical unix way of doing things: you string together lots
of very specific tools to accomplish larger tasks. -- Vineet Kumar