Re: Can't use my console because of logs?

On Thu, 5 Jun 2003 21:11:45 +0100
Patrick Kirk <patrick@kirks.net> wrote:

> I have Debian on a firewall which until now has only needed SSH
> access.  Now I need to be able to use a monitor and can't because of
> errant logging appearing continuously on the screen.

The answer is in /etc/syslog.conf.  You must be sending kernel messages to
/dev/console.  Try changing it to /dev/tty5 or some other virtual terminal
so you can see the messages when you are not using the machine and just
switch to a different vt when you need to log on.
After modifying syslog.conf, restart the syslog deamon:
/etc/init.d/sysklogd restart

Have fun,

--
 Dan Dofton, Automation Asst. |___/