CVSROOT permissions

I just tried updating (from a remote location) a file with CVS and I
got:

  cvs server: warning: cannot write to history file /var/lib/cvs/CVSROOT/history: Permission denied

And sure enough:

  $ ls -l /var/lib/cvs/CVSROOT/history
  -rw-rw-r--    1 root     root            0 2002-12-10 17:00 /var/lib/cvs/CVSROOT/history

On another machine I have all the files in CVSROOT are group "users",
and the history file is group rw.

I guess I'm curious why my Debian installation has the history file not
writable by normal users (or if it should or shouldn't be).

--
Bill Moseley
moseley@hank.org