Re: Unresolved symbols when building kernel modules with make-kpkg, worked fine before

On Thu, Jun 05, 2003 at 10:43:22AM -0300, Theo Cabrerizo Diem wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I'm using unstable (gcc 3.3) and won't build. I've installed gcc-3.2
> package, changed HOSTCC and CC variables in kernel Makefile to gcc-3.2
> and worked fine !...
>
> Maybe this isn't the best solution available, but worked to me ;o)

I had similar problems recently and found the solution in a bug report
on make-kpkg (kernel-package):

Short answer is to prepend your make-kpkg call with
MAKEFLAGS="CC=gcc-2.95".  So, it becomes something like:

   MAKEFLAGS="CC=gcc-2.95" make-kpkg ...

There also seems to be a patch for make-kpkg that allows it to honor the
CC environment variable:

Also, it should be noted that TMK, all Debian kernel images and modules
are built with gcc v2.95.4.  Thus, building your modules with a
different version of gcc likely won't work.  Sure, you could recompile
your entire kernel and modules with gcc 3.2 or 3.3, but you might want
to take head of the following entry in Documentation/Changes:

   The recommended compiler for the kernel is gcc 2.95.x (x >= 3), and
   it should be used when you need absolute stability.

--
Jamin W. Collins