Re: newbie's question: how to undo dselect

On Thu, Jun 05, 2003 at 01:55:39AM -0700, Paul Johnson wrote:
> On Wed, Jun 04, 2003 at 10:15:16PM +0100, Colin Watson wrote:
> > If you're going to recommend a replacement for dselect, aptitude is
> > probably a better choice (although personally I still use dselect).
> > apt-get doesn't offer anywhere near the same degree of control and
> > flexibility in complex situations.
>
> Actually, everything possible in aptitude can be done with apt-get,
> it's just a matter of complexity.

One counterexample off the top of my head: apt-get can't remember when
packages are installed just to satisfy dependencies. (Sure, you could do
it by hand, but if that's the answer then why not just use wget and
dpkg? :-))

apt-get really is just a jumped-up debugging tool - certainly a useful
one, primarily due to the package acquisition library sitting beneath
it, but not a full user interface.

Cheers,