Re: xdm starting, but not configured

On Wed, Jun 04, 2003 at 04:28:56PM +0100, Pigeon wrote:
> On Wed, Jun 04, 2003 at 12:10:58AM -0400, Emma Jane Hogbin wrote:
> > Tried that too. But when I tried to mount / the files from /etc were
> > missing so I couldn't reconfigure it to not start xdm. I guess it thought
> > that the CD's files were etc? I'm not sure, but I did try that route.
>
> Are you getting confused about mounting devices? / is already mounted
> when you Execute the Shell, but it's a / specific to the install disk.
> You can't mount your normal hard-drive / as / without causing some
> major confusion (if at all... I've never tried it :-) ) The install

I mounted a previously initialized partition and then went and looked in
where I thought it was supposed to be: /. I honestly can't remember if I
thought it look in /target (where my actual /etc would have been except it
would have been /target/etc). At that point I was having fun re-installing
things so I just re-installed. Next time I'll remember to check /target as
well when I'm looking for /. It took me forever to understand that if I
didn't re-initialize /var and /usr when I used the install from the rescue
CD that I'd end up with massive problems when I added them by hand to the
/etc/fstab later on. But now I understand so it's all good. AND I
understand why I *wouldn't* want to re-initialize a partition that I was
trying to rescue. Taking the magic out of debian almost makes it boring.
;)

> mount /dev/hda2 /mnt
> ls /mnt/etc (check: should show the normal contents of /etc on your HD)
> chmod a-x /mnt/etc/init.d/xdm (knock out xdm)

*nod* I'm not used to being able to "mount" partitions and have all the paths be
different than what they're supposed to be. File systems are supposed to
be permanent, not flexible!!

> unexpectedly plunges as you walk across... targeting answers to your
> questions is an interesting exercise in cutting to shape a replacement
> plank without accidentally making a plank in the shape of one of the
> neighbouring planks which is not in fact missing. If you see what I
> mean... :-)

*bows* thank you. Or perhaps: not to cut the plank that I needed 15 minutes
ago, but rather to guess the plank I will need 5 minutes from now. ;)

emma

--
Emma Jane Hogbin
[[ 416 417 2868 ][ www.xtrinsic.com ]]