Re: Partitioning advice, 13.9 GB HD

lists1 <lists1@pilosoft.net> writes:

> Here's my partition scheme.  Opinion?

IMHO it's way too complicated.  :-)  My laptop has two partitions, for
/ and /home, and I'm quite happy with that.  Having /home separate is
useful since if you reinstall you can do it without nuking all of your
personal data; otherwise, the extra partitions just add complexity and
inflexibility.

> I read that deb packages take a lot of space under / , as opposed to
> rpm based distros that stick packages in opt and/or usr.

Maybe you're thinking of APT downloading packages into
/var/cache/apt/archives before installing them?  I wouldn't feel
compelled to create a huge /; if you feel compelled to make it a
separate partition, the sum of /bin, /etc, /sbin, and /lib here is
just over 40 MB.

> Should tmp be this large or larger?  This box has my cd burner
> (never got it working on my desktop).  I'll be downloading and
> burning iso images, so figure 700 MB+ dowloads, mkisofs, etc.

I'd just use $HOME for this.  Partitioning /tmp is a little tricky; on
a production system you might want it separate so that a full /tmp
doesn't also squish things like mail spools, but if /tmp fills up you
have a set of other problems.

> On the bind/apache/mail box with the partitioning scheme above,
> should I make the directory where the apache web site files are
> larger, and home much smaller?  If I remember correctly, that's
> usr/local/apache/htdocs/* on suse, so user would be made larger, or
> is it easy enough to put web site docs in home/* directories, and
> link to them from the apache config file?

It is *by default* /var/www on Debian, but it should be easy enough to
repoint the Apache root by changing the configuration file
appropriately (or by a symlink).  The package management system should
only create empty directories under /usr/local, and never use /opt at
all.

	-- Abra Mitchell