Re: Accessing a NFS mounted directory as a user.

On Wed, Jun 04, 2003 at 03:45:28PM +0100, N.Pauli wrote:
> /mnt/beechweb and all its files and sub-directories are user:group
> www-data www-data. At the moment users can read from /mnt/beechweb but
> how can I give a user on mesh or tecra the right to write? Do I need
> to do this through NIS or is this overkill?

Since NFS uses only UID/GID numbers for permissions, you can add a
www-data group with the same GID on the other two machines and add your
user account(s) to that group. Make the /mnt/beechweb directory
group-writable on the server, and those user accounts will be able to
write to it (if the accounts are logged in when you add them to www-data
they'll have to log out and back in for the change to take effect).

NIS would be simpler because it would guarantee consistent UIDs, GIDs,
and group memberships, but if your environment is only 3 machines it
probably is overkill. It might be worth your time to migrate to NIS (or
some other centralized account system), but it's not really necessary
unless you expect to add more machines you should definitely look in to
it.

--
Michael Heironimus