Re: xdm starting, but not configured

On Tue, 2003-06-03 at 22:01, Kevin Mark wrote:
> On Tue, 2003-06-03 at 14:11, Emma Jane Hogbin wrote:
> > Is there a way to boot into a "safe-mode" instead of having xdm start? I
> > didn't configure it properly. When it starts up I get a totally useless
> > screen of junk. I need a way to boot the computer to the prompt instead of
> > having xdm start. Is it possible?
> There are different runlevels:
> 6 is reboot
> 5 is run X and networking
5 is run all that is installed as the preferred solution
4 is run all that is installed as the preferred solution
> 3 is run networking
3 is run all that is installed as the preferred solution
> 2 is single user mode
2 is run all that is installed as the preferred solution
> so:
> linux 3
And on Debian you would be wrong - Debian sets the runlevels 2-5
identically, and leaves it to the sysadmin to decide if they should be
different on any particular machine.

"linux single" is the surest way to get a single user mode.
> is what I would say. Then you can type 'startx'
> are you using:
> /usr/sbin/mkxf86config
> /usr/X11R6/bin/xf86cfg
> /usr/X11R6/bin/xf86config
> /usr/X11R6/bin/xf86config-v3
> -Kev
> >
> > I tried running my install CD with "rescue" instead of install, but it
> > boots and uses xdm, which does'nt help me.
> >
> > thanks!
> >
> > emma
> >
> > --
> > Emma Jane Hogbin