Re: what does rsync do when an input file changes?

>From Vineet Kumar on Tuesday, 2003-06-03 at 12:37:58 -0700:
> Anybody know OTTOYH how rsync would behave if an input file was changed
> while it was doing its thing?  Does it check checksums after syncing a
> file?  If it does, does it go back and try again if they don't match?
> I'm migrating some huge files over a not-too-fast link, and other users
> may write to these files during the rsync operation.  If rsync doesn't
> handle this well, any suggestions for something that might?

I have heard of people successfully using rsync to download
a corrected version of a corrupted CD---only the corrections
were downloaded, not the whole CD.  This was over a modem.
I hope your connection is not any slower than that!

> I've also considered running rsync multiple times, so that on successive
> passes it will pick up the changes.  I just hope that the first pass
> won't generate inconsistent files on the target side if the file changes
> in the middle.

This was the first idea that occured to me, too.  I would guess
that more sophisticated procedures are possible, but I do not
know what they might be.

Conrad